16 March, 1997

Lent 1997

John 3 17"Indeed, God did not send the Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him….. 19And this is the judgment, that the light has come into the world, and people loved darkness rather than light because their deeds were evil. 20For all who do evil hate the light and do not come to the light, so that their deeds may not be exposed.

Light of the world, push through the darkness of my heart and mind that I may see the light of
your goodness in all that is around me. Shine in even the deepest recesses of my being and
bring an end to all my darkness. Amen.

Mushrooms are an interesting part of life. Some are ugly but edible. Some are colorful but poisonous. If you don’t know what you’re doing when you into the woods looking for mushrooms, your choice can mean the difference between life and death. Whether edible or poison, all mushrooms share two traits: they grow best in rotten dead stuff and manure, and they thrive in the dark. I would not want to be a mushroom.

I’ve never had good eyes. From the time I was very small I remember turning on the brightest of lights because I couldn’t see very well and the light helped. When I got my first pair of glasses, the world became a different place. I could see little details like people’s dimples and the color of their eyes. But it was also uncomfortable because I could see the dust in the corners of my bedroom and the dirt on my clothes. Things that were unknown to me became evident. It was as though there was a great light shining on everything – the good and the not so nice.

Light is judgement. John says so. “And this is the judgement: that the light has come into the world, and people loved darkness rather than light because their deeds were evil” (Jn 3:19).

Light shows everything – the good and the not so nice. Light gives us life!

Sometimes I choose to live like a mushroom: I look for the rotten stuff and the negative in everything. I find anything to complain about and something blame for my discomfort because I don’t want to shine any light on myself and find the real problem. I refuse to let God’s light shine inside of me and bring light to my darkness. Instead, I bring everyone else into my darkness so I don’t have to be alone in the dark. Sometimes I love the darkness because to bring light into it would reveal the not so nice in me.

Light shows everything. The good and the not so nice. Just like cleaning house, allowing the light into the darkness is not fun and it’s not easy. Putting on new glasses takes trust in the Optician, patience with ourselves, and hard work to sort through the good and the not so nice. God sends Light not to condemn us but that through the Light we can live. We’re not called to be mushrooms. We’re called to be lampstands.

There’s that children’s Sunday school song that we all learned:
“This little light of mine, I’m gonna let it shine. … Let it shine, let it shine, all the time.”

Keep me from being a mushroom, Gracious God. Let your light shine in me, and through me. Let it shine, let it shine, all the time. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please use respect when responding to others whose ideas and beliefs differ from yours.