05 February, 2022

Llegó!


It is hot.  very hot.  And its only 9:30 in the morning.  

Private homes in Central America are humble.  I'm staying with Dora, her cat Mimi, and her dog, Nana.  "My room" is a 10' by 8' space with a bed, nightstand, a small table, and an empty bookcase.  And an old office chair.  the floor is poured concrete, and unlike the rest of the house, there is a drywall ceiling.  The rest of the house is divided by 8' walls open under the sheet metal ceiling.  

El baño es pequeño.  Muy pequeño.  There are closets in the victorian house I live in (the manse)  that are larger.  The basics are all there..the shower is separated from the rest of the room by a small step down and a shower curtain.  In CA, its important to know where the electric swith is that turns on the on-demand water heater.  I did not did not find that switch until after my cold shower last night.

But cold is relative. The temps are in the 90's already before noon. So by 7:30 at night when Soy Ducharme, the 80° water felt like jumping into Lake Michigan in Febrero.  

Dora's home is homey and comfortable.  like most homes, the windows are open spaces covered only by a nylon mesh supported by a metal or wooden lattice.  There is no need for glass in a place where the temperatures rarely fall below 65°.  The breeze is constant in the morning, but in the heat of the day, it fades in proportion to one's energy in the heat.  On the beach, there is a bit of a breeze off the ocean, but the sun nearly negates its benefits. Y, el rey es mismo fuerte.  My EuroAmerican skin would fry in no time if I were to linger in its light.  

Day 2 began with desayuno de frutas y pan.  And té.   Then a swim in the Pacific and a walk on the beach whilst i chatted (in forbidden Inglés) with my sister in frigid Nueva York.  I had intended to run this morning, but that requires getting up before the sun breaches the horizon to avoid the heat.  Today, my body said, "rest." And I obeyed.  The swim and walk led my Fitbit to believe id walked 10k steps.  es loco.  

Today I shall wander this town and be a tourist.  Las Tardes, I will attend mass with my host at the iglesia de católica whose priest serves 7 congregations along the coast.  Whew!  After supper, I'll sit on the beach and watch the sunset behind the gentle waves of the Pacific.  

La clases empiezan el lunes a las 7 a.m.  con una prueba de ubicación.  Hasta entonces, tengo libertad para explorar, descansar, escribir, y leer.

Descanso, santo descanso.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please use respect when responding to others whose ideas and beliefs differ from yours.